How am I Compensated if I am in a Revere Hit-and-Run Accident?

No one plans to be in a car accident. But car accidents are a reality of life, and when they occur, your best hope is that your damages will not be serious and that the other driver will have insurance to help pay for any losses you suffer. But what happens if you are involved in a Revere car accident, and the at-fault driver flees the scene? How will you be compensated for any property damage costs, medical expenses, and other losses you incur?

Who Pays for Damages after a Hit-and-Run Crash?

If you are involved in a hit-and-run accident in Revere, consider the following sources of compensation that can help to pay for your injuries–

  • Your personal injury protection (PIP) coverage. The state of Massachusetts requires that all of its drivers carry PIP coverage, which is used to pay for medical expenses and related damages that a party sustains in a crash regardless of fault. Indeed, because Massachusetts is a no-fault state, drivers must turn to their own insurance companies for coverage first before filing a claim against the other party, irrespective of who actually caused the accident.
  • The at-fault driver’s insurance. As stated above, you will need to turn to your own insurance company first after an accident regardless of fault. If you are involved in a hit-and-run accident, there is a chance that the responsible driver will be located in the hours or days following your collision. If this is the case, you can file a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance or file a lawsuit directly against the responsible driver if:
  • Your injuries are disabling or disfiguring; or
  • Your medical bills exceed $2,0000.
  • Your uninsured motorist coverage. As required under Massachusetts law, drivers must also purchase uninsured motorist coverage to protect themselves against uninsured drivers in the state. As such, if the hit-and-run driver is not found, or is found and does not have insurance, you may file a claim under your own uninsured motorist policy.

Our Revere Car Accident Lawyer Can Help

If you are in a hit-and-run accident in Revere, the first thing you should do is seek medical care for your injuries. Then, as soon as you are able, you should call a Revere car accident lawyer. At The Law Offices of Alan Hildreth King & Associates, we are prepared to work hard to locate the hit-and-run driver, and explore all potential avenues of liability and compensation. You do not deserve to receive a smaller compensation award because a driver hit you and fled the scene – we work diligently to ensure that doesn’t happen.

To schedule a free consultation with our law offices, please call us today at (781) 284-2900. You can also contact us by sending us a confidential message describing your case and your injuries. We will return your inquiry as soon as possible, and will never charge you for the initial legal advice we offer.