The aftermath of a car crash can be devastating. For those who have been in serious collisions, recovering from injuries could take months, or even years. In addition, the claims process can seem to drag one, and the delay can be excruciating. At The Law Offices of Alan Hildreth King & Associates, one of the most frequently asked questions we hear from our clients and potential clients is in regards to how long the car accident settlement process takes. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide a precise answer – how long a case will take to settle depends on many different factors. However, there are some things that can affect how long the settlement process takes.
Consider the following about the Massachusetts car accident settlement process and timeline, and reach out to us directly for a free consultation–
How Long Does it Take to Settle a Car Accident or Personal Injury Case in MA?
As noted above, how long a case takes to settle will depend on the unique factors of that case. Factors that may affect the settlement process include:
- The extent of injuries. More serious injuries mean that a claimant will be asking for a greater amount of damages. The more money involved in a claim, the longer it will likely take to settle as the harder an insurance company will fight back. Because you will also want to wait until reaching Maximum Medical Improvement (MMI) before settling a claim, more serious injuries can also extend the process.
- Agreement about fault. When fault is cut and dry and there is no dispute about who should pay and what insurance policies apply, a settlement can be reached more quickly. On the other hand, if fault is disputed or if multiple parties are partially to blame, the case will be more complex.
- Legal representation. If a person does not have legal representation, they may be inclined to accept a first settlement offer, which will result in a quick conclusion of the case. (You should never accept a first settlement offer.) On the other hand, without legal representation, an insurance company may drag its feet in settling a claim. An attorney can put the pressure on, accelerating the process.
Settlement Process and Timeline
Roughly all claims will go through the same process and follow a similar timeline as the one detailed below–
- Seek medical treatment. The injury victim will need to seek medical care and wait until they reach MMI before issuing a demand letter and settling their claim.
- Investigations will take place. During this phase in the process, both sides will have an opportunity to gather evidence and draw conclusions about fault, causation, and the degree of damages.
- Negotiations will unfold. Negotiations are a back-and-forth process that can take multiple weeks–or even multiple months–before an agreement is reached.
- Filing a lawsuit or accepting a claim is the last step. If negotiations are successful, then the final step will be the claimant accepting a settlement offer. If they are unsuccessful, then the claimant will need to consult with their attorney to determine whether or not filing a lawsuit is appropriate.
Call Our Massachusetts Car Accident Lawyer Today
We know that you want to settle your claim as quickly as possible. At The Law Offices of Alan Hildreth King & Associates, we care about getting you a settlement fast, but care more about making sure that you are justly compensated for the harm you’ve suffered. To schedule a free consultation with our car accident lawyers and to learn more about our process and what your claim is worth, send us a message online or call us at (781) 284-2900 today.