Understanding Insurance after a Revere Car Accident

If you’ve been in a car accident in Revere, you may be facing mounting medical expenses, serious injuries, lost wages, property damage expenses, and more. While all of these things may feel overwhelming, one thing that you may be able to take comfort in is the fact that you, and hopefully the other driver involved, have car insurance. Here’s an overview of car insurance that may be available to help pay for your damages after a Revere car accident—

Types of Insurance that Pays for Damages

If you are in a car accident, even if the other driver isn’t insured, you can turn to your own insurance for coverage. This is because it’s required for drivers to carry:

  • Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage. All drivers must carry PIP coverage in an amount of no less than $8,000. This type of coverage will help to pay for your medical expenses after a crash, as well as a portion of your lost wages. PIP covers you regardless of fault.
  • Bodily Injury Caused by Uninsured Auto coverage. Another type of coverage you are required to carry is Bodily Injury Caused by Uninsured Auto. In the event that you are in a crash with an uninsured driver, this coverage helps to protect you against losses. This coverage is required in a minimum of $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident.

In addition to your own required insurance coverage, you may be able to seek compensation by filing a claim against the at-fault driver’s insurance. Coverage types that may help to pay for your losses are:

  • Property Damage coverage. If you are hit by another driver and your property (vehicle) is damaged, you may file a claim against the driver’s insurance for coverage. A minimum of $5,000 in coverage is required.
  • Bodily Injury to Others coverage. Drivers are also required to carry coverage for any bodily injury they cause to others. If your accident resulted in injuries, you can file a claim against the at-fault driver’s bodily injury coverage. This coverage is required in a minimum amount of at least $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident.

Other Sources of Compensation

In addition to the required coverage types, you may also be able to file a claim against your collision or comprehensive coverage. If you have health insurance, this too is a source of compensation.

Navigating the Claims Process

If you are in an accident, you need to report your accident to the police and your insurance company immediately. Tips for navigating the claims process include:

    • Do not give a statement without speaking to a lawyer first;
    • Be honest about the accident and do not hyperbolize details or injuries;
    • Do not trust the insurance adjuster – they may be looking for a way to minimize your settlement;
  • Never accept a first settlement offer; and
  • Hire an experienced Revere car accident lawyer who knows the best strategies for maximizing your settlement award.

Our Revere Car Accident Lawyer Is Here for You

If you are in a crash, make our law office one of your first calls. We have nearly four decades of experience helping car accident victims get the money they deserve. You can reach our lawyers at The Law Offices of Alan Hildreth King & Associates by sending us a message or calling (781) 284-2900 today.